Monday, October 25, 2010

Cake Ball Catastrophe

I kept hearing Cake Ball this and Cake ball that and then one of my friends brought one in to the office and I realized what everyone had been talking about. They were such an amazing treat. Sweet, gooey, moist cake dipped in chocolate...wow! Then about a month ago a Resident of mine brought in some Bon Bons and I almost died so I decided it was my time to give it a go.

I started off in the baking isle trying to decide what combination I was going to try. There was red velvet cake and of course chocolate cake but since my birthday is coming up, I decided to make what I love. CARROT CAKE! I just love carrot cake and every year for my birthday, Jason's Grandma makes me one of the best carrot cakes without scabs (raisins) known to man. I literally wait all year to eat her sinfully good carrot cake. I am drooling and day dreaming about it at this very moment.

So here is how the Cake Ball Catastrophe started.....


Lookin' good and ready to make Carrot Cake Balls. As you can see my first mistake was the white chocolate chips. Did you know the best type of chocolate to use is Almond Bark? And did you know Almond Bark does not have almonds in it?? Who knew?! :)

Next, you cook the cake according to the directions and allow to cool. Once cooled, crumble the cake into a large bowl and add one can of cream cheese frosting. Get your hands nice and clean because you are going to need to get in there and combine...combine away! Once the icing and cake are combined you will need to scoop balls out of the mixture lay them on a parchment lined baking pan. I used a small ice cream scoop so they would be equal in size. Next, roll your cake balls between your palms until they are smooth.



Please do not do what I did and melt your chocolate and then add your room temperature balls into the hot melted chocolate. You will end up with crumbs in your chocolate and you will feel like a terrible failure. Place your rolled, naked cake balls into the freezer or into the fridge until nice and cool. Please make sure they are really, really COLD. I didn't have space in the freezer so I kept them in the fridge.

This is where it all went wrong....

DO NOT USE WHITE CHOCOLATE CHIPS. Please! It was all wrong! It never got thin enough to coat and the temperature was so temperamental. They ended up in big gooey globs. Now, I am a firm believer that you can never have too much chocolate but this was just too much. My precious cake balls were too sweet and they were not pretty. This is exactly why you will not see a picture of my ugly balls...did I say that? Errr...I mean my not so pretty balls!

I have a friend who vowed to teach me the ins and outs on making cake balls and I so appreciate it. Thanks Ally! I so needed a baking buddy and I can't wait to see and eat what we dream up.

Now go and make Cake Balls! But beware and don't be sad if your first batch doesn't come out perfect. It's just a good excuse to make them again and eat! :)

Cecilia  xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment