Monday, March 8, 2010

Greenling

I was introduced to this fabulous website the other day thanks to another fabulous website, Groupon. I love getting a deal or even just feeling like I get a deal for that matter. Most of the time I am not because I am just not that darn savvy. As a matter of fact, I am going to write that down on my things to work-on list. Anyways, about Greenling. I recieved a $25 coupon for $50 worth of amazing organic or sustainable food from this cool website who delivers. I love, I think I may have said this a time or two, using fresh from the garden and organic food. To me it just tastes different and it makes you feel so much better. Ever since I found out I was pregnant, I just felt some sort of duty to eat better. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you can find pictures of me stuffing my face with Whataburger French Fries or pizzas by the box but I really try. I also watched the movie Food Inc. and I watch way too much Oprah, so I felt inspired to slowly change the way my family eats. I also just love food so trying out great food seemed like a no-brainer. 

Tuesday I made my order and by Friday my Greenling box was waiting for me on my doorstep. I was so excited. I had ordered bone-in ribeyes, quinoa, veggies, and the Farmstead Box. The Farmstead Box was supposed to have local and non-local artisan favorites. This box just so happened to have fresh homemade pasta, 2 of the most lovely smelling and tasting french loaves, some kind of woodsy cheese, and this amazing Sesame Garlic dressing. The best thing was knowing all this food we were eating was supporting local farms and we actually knew were our food was coming from. Sorry, not trying to get all hippy on you or anything.

Saturday and Sunday I went to work creating meals made of most of my new ingredients and this is what I came up with.

This was Saturdays dinner.





This was the most delicious bone-in ribeye I have ever had. I simply seasoned it with salt and pepper and threw it on the grill. About 4-5 minutes on each side and it was medium-rare perfection. The fingerling potatoes also came from Greenling and I just dressed them in olive oil, S&P, and thyme. I have never made artichokes and I really haven't had one since I was a kid so they threw me for a loop. I was pretty much confused by them all together. Jason looked at them like they were some some sort of alien creature and was even more upset when I told him that we were having these awesome looking vegetables for dinner. Thank goodness he is such a sport and always tries what I make or he wouldn't eat anything but Totino's pizzas. So, I steamed the suckers and made a fancy sauce of mayo, my new sesame-garlic dressing and lemon juice. Not bad! Jason was not a fan of them because he said they were too much work and I have to agree so any ideas are so welcome! :)

Sunday night I was really looking forward to the fresh pasta and the bread, I told you I come from a long line of carbaholics, right? I set out to try and create something since I hadn't put much thought into dinner until we were all starving. I hadn't set out any meat so I had to tell the ol' hubs the worst news possible, there would be no meat in tonights fare. I had a left over yellow bell pepper, spinach (of course!), the onion, and plenty of olive oil, parmesan cheese, and garlic. I started by carmelizing the bell pepper and the onions. It takes a little while but so worth it.


Then I added the spinach....


This was the pasta, it was a little spicy so I'm guessing it had red pepper flakes in the dough. Pardon the terrible picture.


Yes, I know I should have taken a picture of the actual pasta but I have a 9 month old and my brain just doesn't work like everyone elses.



AND...... finally, time to EAT!!!

It was truly delicious. So delicious in fact that Jason asked for seconds. Incredible! AND, it didn't have a single dead animal any where near the plate! I could of passed out.
 It was really satisfying too. The carmilized onions and yellow bell pepper added a sweetness that really matched the subtle heat of the noodles. DELISH!

I really can't wait to experiment again and try out some new dishes. This was an amazing weekend and I really look forward to this week coming up. I have a new client and I really have my work cut out for me so I have a lot of work to do! Wish me luck....

Till next time,

Cecilia

No comments:

Post a Comment