Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Ratatouille

I'm sitting here on this snow day, Ratatouille (the disney movie not the dish) playing in the background while envisioning fresh baked bread, bisquits, and chili coming out of my kitchen. My back yard looks like Tahoe and it's a little chilly in the house. I have Brayden all warm and bundled up and Jason is working in the office. I always feel better when I can see Jason on these bad weather days. I hear all too often of accidents and traumatic events when the weather shifts in Texas and when you have a husband who drives from office to office, it makes you feel better knowing everything that makes your life happy and better is safe and at home.

You know, I have always liked the movie Ratatouille and I have watched it about a million times. As a matter of fact, when I was pregnant and sick as a dog, Jason would put the movie on and make or bring me food. It always made me feel better. Watching this movie makes me think about what it is about and what it really means to me. For those who have never seen this Disney classic, it is about a rat who fights his way to happiness by doing what he loves, cooking. I feel like maybe I am that tiny chef fighting her way to happiness and doing what she loves through adversity and lack of experience but true love for an art. Does that make sense? I know it sounds corny but I just love this darn movie.

On another note, last night I made a little creation and it was pretty good. I sauteed some onion in olive oil until tender, then added chicken tenderloins and cooked until browned on both sides. I seasoned with s&p and a little bit of oregano. Halfway through browning the chicken, I added chopped proscuitto and garlic. Once the chicken was browned, I deglazed the pan with chicken broth and added fresh baby spinach. I am not a fan of canned or frozen spinach. Baby spinach is easy to find, inexpensive, and delicious. I forgot to mention that all the while I have cavatappi pasta cooking in boiling, salted water. After the liquid starts to reduce I add the cooked pasta and toss to coat with the sauce the chicken broth and starchy water creates. I add tiny pearl mozzarella and julienned basil and you are done! Easy peasy and your husband will thank you! You could toast some bread and top with basil butter. That would be de-vine!

 Here is a picture of what it looked like while cooking....



Plated...

 Cherry tomatoes would have been great in this and added some much needed color.



So, I think in the spirit of this snow day and one of my favorite movies, I will cook! I am just not sure what I want to make yet. All I know is I want to get lost in my kitchen.

Have a nice day,

Cecilia

1 comment:

  1. This is great Cecilia! Keep up the amazing work my friend :)

    ReplyDelete