Monday, February 22, 2010

Week 4

Last week was pretty busy with lunches and snacks. It was fun and I tried out a few new recipes too. The lunches went well although Jason said he didn't feel that great about them professionally. I hate hearing that. He's amazing, who wouldn't love him? That's the nature of the beast I suppose.

Here is my snack, I wish I had a better picture. I was running out of time and I stupidly left the plastic on. I made 2 platters of fresh veggies and 2 kinds of hummus, fresh fruit and a marscapone/ricotta cream, and caprese salad with toasted baguette slices.


This was a learning experience because I am not happy with the presentation at all. I would have liked better bowls, some greener lettuce, and maybe some mint for the cream. Oh well, next time. I have been learning a lot about presentation lately and it is equally as important that your food look as good as it tastes. I don't think anyone would like to eat anything that looks like poo, ya know?

Then, Saturday night my in-laws came over last minute so Jason and I could go see a movie. I made Almond-Cranberry-Ganache-Clusters for them. They were really inexpensive and VERY easy to make. Jason loved them, in fact, he told me never to make them again.



Sunday, I wanted to make something sweet for breakfast and I had lots of inspiration from Giada. I made her Berry Strata and it was really good. It tasted better then it looked on my camera. It was sweet, it was crunchy, it was creamy, it was heaven. I almost ate the whole thing myself. It was also very simple to make and I had almost all the ingredients already. I love that! I really seek out recipes that I can make with ingredients I already have. Cooking is expensive and while I would love to shop at Whole Foods everyday, I just can't. So, I use what I have and improvise. Here's the Strata....YUM!

This was before I cooked it. You can see all the berries and the custard. :)



After it was baked and tested.....


Oh so good.

I have been making my own baby food for about 4 months now and Brayden really seems to like almost everything. I haven't tackled meat yet because frankly I'm scared, but I will try it one of these days! I make him all types of things like, peas, parsnips, carrots, squash, lasagna, and peaches. Super easy and yummy and this is a face that just don't lie!


This was blueberry night and he was a fan. He has entered an new phase and that would be the food in the hair phase. Oh boy!

I look forward to this week and my new trials. I also look forward to this new FREE cooking place I found. They do free and low cost cooking classes and they are all healthy. I am super excited because cooking school is on hold till we have an extra $13,000 laying around. By looking at their schedule they have knife skill classes, bread making classes, and specifice meal classes. Can't wait!

Have a wonderful week!

Cecilia

4 comments:

  1. I would love to know about these classes. Please share details. :)

    The food looks yummy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude... take me with you to those classes! I just blogged today about my hopes and dreams of becoming a better "from scratch" cooker...

    http://ourepicjourney.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come with me!! Austinhealthycooking.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to check that website out - looks great!

    :)

    http://kerriskitchen-texas.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete