Friday, February 12, 2010

Thursday Tortellini

Ok, so yesterday I mentioned that I was going to have a go at homemade pea and ricotta tortellini. Jason was fighting traffic after being out all day so I decided to do the nice wife thing and have dinner waiting for him. Nice, huh?

With every meal I have learned that timing is everything. Timing, organization, and great ingredients. Last night I used them all but left out the organization. :) I was home cooking for my family for goodness sake. I need to save up all my organization for my clients! I don't have much after all.

Back to the tortellini, I choose to use wonton wrappers, they make life delightful and what I did was take frozen peas and thaw them out. After they are thawed, I pulse a cup of the peas, ricotta cheese, panko bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, s&p together till it creates a paste. I seperate all the wonton wrappers and fill with a tsp of filling and and use an egg wash to close the dough over diagonally. I only had about 15 wonton wrappers left from a previous dinner so that is all I used.


Add gently to a large pot of boiling, salted water and wait for them to float. If you make a lot, I suggest cooking in batches so they don't lump together, been there and it's not fun. Usually takes about 3-4 minutes to heat filling and cook dough.

 I needed a sauce for the pasta and I wanted to be creative. I really like Giada De Laurentiis and I saw she made a brown butter sauce for a ravioli so I decided to try a version. I added unsalted butter, whole-wheat flour, a dash of white wine, sage, milk, olive oil, and s&p. The sage and the wine smelled heavenly. I whsked it until smooth and let it cook on low until the tortellini was ready. I am not one for normally sticking to recipes so I can't tell you how much I used of all the ingredients but it turned out fantastic. I feel giddy just thinking about it.



This was my inspiration....



Here is the finished product. I love garnish and think it adds so much flare. I wanted to use parsley since the dish didn't have any basil in it but I was out. Next best thing, Basil.



Now, I am just a home cook who loves to create smiles. I am learning everyday and make mistakes by the minute. I feel so happy and at peace when I cook. It is where I truly belong, there and the gym. All this great food is killing my diet! :)

Thank you for reading!

Cecilia

No comments:

Post a Comment